Friday, August 16

The woman with the blue bucket...

 
 
Since the end of July I have been going out to a nearby beach everyday and
picking up "stuff" and jamming it in my blue bucket.
 
 If you missed the first post concerning my bucket you can Click Here
 
This stuff includes marine floats, plastics, toothbrushes, light bulbs, ball caps, ropes. After I canvas the beach I usually sit and just watch the waves and yesterday I was saddened to see some debris in the waves, rolling over and over again and in time this debris will be dumped upon our sandy shores.
So with my two feet and my blue bucket I will continue to pick up stuff, knowing that my efforts are just a drop in the bucket but, I am doing what I can. Maybe, just maybe one fish, a turtle or my beloved Hawaii Monk Seals will be spared from eating this awful stuff.



 Here are just a few of the floats I've "rescued" think my count is now 10
 
 My blue bucket filled beyond the brim.
I think I need to jazz up my bucket....Got any ideas???
 
 More floats
 
 so much plastic...
 
 One day I found a single fin....
 
 some treasures....sea glass!!!
I think it's Mother Natures way of thanking me.

 one of the most unusual items...some sort of radio from Lockheed Martin.
 
 the largest...part of a boat
approximately4 feet wide

item that traveled the greatest distance perhaps???
anyone know what it says??
 

 
 
Watch for more updates...and if you have ideas on jazzing up my bucket leave a comment,
oh and I'm still looking for that glass ball.CLICK HERE

14 comments:

  1. You're doing something wonderful! And making a difference! I would email Lockheed Martin and attach the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good of you to do your part, now if more people took a little time out to do the same...

    More and more of the debris you find on your beach will be from the tsunami in Japan. Over here on the West Coast of Canada we have been seeing everything from styrofoam to large concrete docks, boats and everything in between!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing that. Every little bit helps. In the winters here in Arizona - we have a lot of "snowbirds" that will do their part and clean up areas of our desert a couple of weekends a month - it's amazing all the trash people will dump out of their windows while they drive or just dump out of their cars because they don't want to pay garbage fees.

    I'm not really sure how you could decorate that blue bucket. Maybe write on there, "Making a difference, one piece of trash at a time". Or maybe just have a picture of a starfish painted on it and that little paragraph about that starfish and the boy that throws them back in. For the love of Pete, I can't remember it but you know what I'm talking about, right? Or even somehow paint the last picture you have here on the bucket.

    Sorry - terrible ideas but I entered the terrible poetry contest and I'm stuck in "bad" idea mode. ;)

    Also - it's kinda cool some of the stuff you find - or at least interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, I picked up trash when I was there last. Amazing junk you can find; so sad that folks don't care. I love the color of your bucket-maybe painting a fish or two on it. I always search for sea glass-have done this since I was in high school-also shells. Have a great weekend my friend.
    Let me know what is going on and if you have any specific needs.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  5. "just a drop in the bucket.." That's good. Every little bit helps. It's good for you and the wildlife and land. Keep up the good work. Mahalo nui loa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would be right there with you. i abhor trash along the roadways - i can only imagine in the ocean.

    i think you need a net system - something expandable but light-weight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every little bit helps - do you recycle what you find?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome. I wonder if that Lockheed Martin Radio is from an airplane? A crashed one? Hmmm, you are a wonderful person, and if each person does her part like you, the world be a better place.

    On a smaller scale, I spent some time today cleaning up a "campsite" where some transients were living before the law threw them out. It's a disaster... and it will be there for decades if no one cleans it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sure is a lot of garbage! Guess Hawaii is no different than the States. What a shame. We are proud of you bcuz it's a nasty job.

    Mommy uses a pail like that for garden weeds. Her bucket didn't have writing on it tho. She stenciled it and it now looks great! Maybe try some steel wool on it to see it the writing would come off, then some pretty pictures.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great that you are willing to do that. It is a good reminder that we need to try and produce less garbage! Thanks for helping keep our world cleaner! Lee and Phod and their Lady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you're doing and love that you share it with us. You'll probably get some of your most long-lasting memories from this stewardship. I love Blueberry's ideas for your bucket. Maybe a canvas cover or canvas band.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great project and some of that stuff is really neat and you could maybe even use at home to create something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an awesome woman. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness Val, do you think you are getting Tsunami debris? I love that you're picking it up, and I can't believe people actually litter in a place so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by...I would love to hear what you think of our adventures, so please feel free to add a comment.