Friday, November 4

All because...

As you all know I have spent the last two days recovering from the untimely run in with a skunk. I began my day with taking the girlz on their usual morning walkabout. Now normally I walk the dogs in the daylight, but I had to work at 8 on wednesday and the forecast was for snow/rain and temperatures dropping throughout the day. So, I thought get up, get out and get the walk in. It's approximately 6:30 a.m.(pitch dark) and we were about 1/2 way done with the walk when Gracie and Schatzie got a whiff of something and away they went. Fortunately I had Miss Molly on a leash!! Once I caught up with the two of them they were busy looking for something  in the bushes and I am pointing my flashlight in their direction. I hear rustling and  what I thought was birds in  the treetops, I see no birds...when all of a sudden WHAM....the smell hits me and Molly. We've been blasted by a skunk. I later found out the rustling I heard was probably the skunk stomping his/her feet warning of the impending blast. Anyhow, Gracie and Schatzie got a direct blast, unfortunately I didn't know this until we returned to the house. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and I bent over to smell them and thought, they don't smell too bad, maybe the skunk missed them.  Well....the joke was on me....I let them into the now I had 2 smelly dogs in my house and Ron asking, "did the girlz get into something??"

Yep, they sure did....once I realized they got blasted, outside they went. Ron didn't have to work on wednesday morning so he was given the task of giving baths to the girlz. By the time he was ready to give them baths it was raining very windy and COLD, so he gave them baths in the bathroom.....the bath consisted of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap. Found this recipe on the internet and it does work--some sort of chemical reaction to break down the oils of the skunk spray.

Meanwhile, I get ready for work and jump in the car with my boss( we carpool on wednesdays)..."he says, gosh I smell a skunk!!" I about died, I had showered, clean clothes even gave myself a spritz of perfume and he smells SKUNK!!! Once I got to work I found a bottle of disinfectant and went outside in the rain and sprayed myself. Feeling more confident that I no longer smelled like a skunk I brought our first patient back to the operatory. I work as a dental assistant, what a great job to have the day you smell like a skunk. We begin working on the patient and she says, "wow, I can really smell that!!"  I nearly dropped to the floor, I'm thinking oh no, she smells skunk!!  HA...She tells us she can smell the decay from her I pick myself up off the floor I am grateful for tooth decay at this particular time.

Fast forward a couple hours when Ron arrives at the clinic (he's a dentist ) to do a checkup on one of his patients...As soon as he walks in you can smell skunk...He puts on his scrubs and his street clothes go into a plastic bag and yes the disinfectant comes out again.  We all managed to get thru the rest of the day at the clinic without further incident. However....

Wednesday is BOWLING since Ron's street clothes were ruled unwearable and bagged we had to go shopping for new jeans and a shirt for him to wear to bowling. He got his jeans while I went to the pet store looking for other remedies for ridding our home of the aroma of SKUNK.  Found this great stuff called "Natures Miracle" it's an enzyme that you just spray on you, the dog and all other areas that the smell has effected. It is indeed a miracle!!

Neither one of us was in the mood to bowl...yet we did it for our team. As we are waiting for our lanes to open we sit and chat....our team members (not knowing our story yet) guessed it, "do you smell SKUNK?" Oh no, not again...somehow the skunk smell has been embedded into our skin I just know it and we will never be rid of it. Despite smelling like skunks and Ron forgetting his bowling ball we actually bowled pretty well.

Finally returned home at 10p.m. entering the house and the stench of skunk hits again. I sprayed the girlz, carpet, furniture and the air with the enzymes. This was all I could do....the ugly task of cleaning would have to wait til morning. Sleeping only for a couple hours, I woke gagging from the stench. I jumped on the internet and surfed for ways to remove the smell from everything...We had all the suggested items to rid the smell, however it's just going to take time.

Thursday and friday  I spent the entire day doing laundry, everything was scrubbed down ceiling to floor, shampooed carpets, dogs given more baths, windows open, candles burning, baking cinnamon in the oven. Thank goodness it was sunny and warm so the girlz could be outside ALL day. I did make another trip to the pet store for more Nature's Miracle..first store---they were out :(  the clerk told me there's been a run on the Nature's Miracle, thus telling me that I'm NOT the only one that had an encounter with a dreaded skunk. I guess in a small way that makes me feel better...Thank the Lord the 2nd store had the goods--I bought all they had.  :)

All in all, although I am exhausted,  I am somewhat grateful to that stinky little skunk-- cuz now my fall house cleaning is done. Top to bottom--inside and out  :)


  1. this is awful and i have never met a skunk and now devoutly hope i never do. my word, what a day and added to the smell all that extra WORK... hope today is bright sun and no smell for all of you. i do have to say it is a little tiny bit funny, but not for you.

  2. Wow!!! What an ordeal! I love how you looked on the positive side...all cleaning finished. :)
    Glad all is back to normal. Happy Sunday!


Thanks for dropping by...I would love to hear what you think of our adventures, so please feel free to add a comment.